Is keto diet the best way to lose fat, if yes, then how do you lose weight following keto diet ? what is the mechanism of keto diet ? How a high fat diet can help lose weight? how much weight can you lose on keto diet ? Why do you lose weight fast on keto ?
Are you struggling with all these questions too?
Let us now explore and understand why keto diet helps lose weight.
As we all now know that a Ketogenic diet is a very low carb and high-fat diet. The main aim of the keto diet is to get the body as well as maintain the body in a state of ketosis. To be in the state of ketosis one must consume only 20-50 grams of carbs per day. The distribution of macronutrients in the ketogenic diet plan is 55-60% fats, 30-35% proteins and 5-10% carbs.
The main source energy of which our bodies can utilize is glucose from carbohydrates. But when the amount of carb intake is way too less in the diet, then the levels of glucose in our bodies diminish and so does the energy. To generate energy our body then uses an alternate source of energy i.e. fat to generate energy for the proper functioning of the body. Our liver breaks down fats in our diet to convert these into ketone bodies. These ketone bodies are used by different organs of our body to generate energy.
When there is no supply of carbs for a couple of days, ketones are produced by the body. This replacement of fuel source has many benefits for the nervous system and brain and also it promotes and helps in weight loss.
When body starts burning ketones for fuel and body is in the state of ketosis, most people experience decreases appetite and increase levels of energy, which results in consuming few calories and hence aiding in weight loss.
• Elimination of certain food groups: Less consumption of carbs results in reduced calorie intake and therefore helps in losing weight as this is the key feature of weight loss.
• Appetite suppressant: After following keto diet your appetite decreases and also eating fats will keep you feel full which in return helps in changing hunger hormones.
• Intake of high-quality protein: Many keto diets follow a high-quality protein diet, resulting in weight loss benefits.
• Improved insulin sensitivity: It improves metabolism and insulin sensitivity hence improve fuel utilization.
• Fat burning increased: It helps in increasing the number of fat burn during exercise, rest and daily activity.
So, the keto diet has so many tools compared to other diets which can help you lose weight faster.
It is really easy to follow keto diet meal plan; you just need to follow some basic rules mentioned below:
• Build a plan: It is very important to have a full plan while following this diet. You must know about the meals and easy go-to snacks.
• Eliminate carbohydrates: Not more than 20-50grams of carbs per day. You must always check food labels.
• Stock up your fats: Eggs, oils, nuts, avocados, cheese, meat, fish, cream should be your stable food and should always be there in your diet.
• Consider veggies: Include green veggies and avoid roots and tubers. Veggies will help you keep full.
• Try new recipes: You can try having new recipes and make keto-friendly brownies, ice creams, breads, etc.
• Find what you love to eat: Try to find your type of keto diet and do experiment with your diet.
• Try supplements: You can use supplements like MCT oil or use coconut oils daily or ketone salt supplement, which will boost your process.
• Record progress: You must take measurements and record your journey. It will also help you evaluate what to do next.
• Be consistent: Be patient and must follow the rule of slow and steady wins the race.
By following these basic rules one can easily get used to ketogenic diet. Along with this, one must monitor the ketone levels.
One of the main reasons linked to ketosis and weight loss is that there is a mild diuretic effect on ketones. Most people believe that the rapid weight loss on keto is coming from fat but in reality, in the first few weeks, the most loss is due to water loss only.
There is a drastic weight drop around 2-10 pounds in the first week and most of it is due to water weight which is holding on to as a result of carbs consumption. This also results in keto flu symptoms, and therefore it is advised to drink a lot of water while on keto.
After 2 weeks of a continuous keto diet, weight loss happens at a slow pace. At this time body begins to adapt to keto and change from melting carbs to melting fat.
The average loss in weight is around 1-2 pounds per week if you follow it rigorously and you maintain the calorie deficit. After one week of keto when you enter ketosis, most of the weight loss will come from fat only.
As you draw nearer to your objective weight and your general body weight diminishes, weight reduction will back off. This happens in light of the fact that as your weight decreases so will your every day caloric necessities. Hence, you might need to recalculate your calorie needs each month or something like that. You must keep in mind that weight is not consistent every week it depends upon various factors and that only determines how you will lose weight:
• Your health status: Your general wellbeing assumes a significant job in how quick you will shed pounds and adjust to a lower-carb diet. If you have any hormonal or metabolic issues, weight reduction may be slower or more testing than anticipated. Insulin opposition, excess visceral fat, and thyroid issues all these can have an impact on the weight loss rate.
• Calorie deficit: The one factor that prompts the most huge and reliable weight reduction is a calorie deficiency. At the end of the day, when we consume fewer calories than we need to keep up our weight, we will shed pounds. This implies your weight reduction rate will typically increment as your complete calorie utilization diminishes. The human body is intended to prevent enormous measures of weight reduction during times of starvation through mechanisms that make long term fat loss a lot harder to accomplish and maintain. Along these lines, it is never a smart thought to starve yourself for long period of time.
Research demonstrates that calorie shortages above 30% are sufficient to stimulate a portion of these counterproductive components for long term fat loss.
• Your daily habits: habits of eating food and exercise will help you lose\gain weight accordingly. Consistency is the key to lose weight. You must check on some points like if you are having keto foods? Are your calories in deficit? Are you having good fats? Are you having a limited amount of fats? Eating the right food at right time and of the right quantity with right amount of exercise will help you have fruitful results and a good body transformation.
• Body composition: You will lose fat according to your body composition. People having a lot of fat on your body will help you lose weight faster than those who have only a few extra kilos to burn.
Everybody`s health, body, and lifestyle are different and it will act according to the body type, so the weight loss journey of every person is different.
Everybody should consult a doctor before going on a keto diet. Some controversies are there about keto diet, but many of them are considered safe by studies and researches. People who take medications for diabetes, people who take medicines for high blood pressure, females who breastfeed, pregnant women and elderly people must go for keto only under a doctor’s supervision.
Many researches and studies have suggested that the keto diet is way too reliable and effective than any other diet in losing weight. One of the main reasons that this diet works is that it includes foods like high-fat dairy, and high satiating foods like meat, low carb veggies and eliminates carb rich and sugary foods from your diet. Eating in this manner will help you feel full and results in having fewer calories throughout the day. Also, one must be consistent while following keto diet and should make it a long-term sustainable lifestyle. And should never feel demotivated even if you hit a plateau and not able to lose weight, then you should re-evaluate your whole diet and your journey of losing weight.